Skip to Main Content Accessibility



Supporting witnesses during a dental hearing

Witnesses play a vital role

Your role as a witness at a hearing is vital. It gives those hearing the evidence a first-hand account of what has happened, so they can make informed decisions about whether a dental professional’s fitness to practise dentistry is impaired. Witnesses play an important role in the regulatory system that works to protect the public and patients.

Giving evidence can be a rewarding experience, but we understand that it can be daunting for some. You can find out more about how we support witnesses before, during and after a dental hearing below.

Get in touch with the Support Officer

The Dental Professionals Hearings Service is the adjudication service for the General Dental Council (GDC). Our Support Officer is responsible for making sure participants of the hearing are properly informed and supported.

The Support Officer will provide help to all witnesses (sometimes also referred to as informants or complainants), whether you are acting as a witness for the GDC or the dental professional as well as unrepresented Registrants.

You can contact the Support Officer:

Or you can write to:

Support Officer
37 Wimpole Street

Compensation awards or recovering costs

We work to protect patients. We are not able to award compensation or recover costs related to the treatment or dental services you received. We do not have the regulatory powers to financially compensate you.

If you are looking to recover costs or compensation, you will need to take legal action against the dental professional. If you would like more information you should speak to your own lawyer or Citizens Advice.

You may be able to get a repair or retreatment for NHS dental work. You should contact your dental practice in the first instance or make a complaint through the NHS system within 12-months. You may also want to contact the Ombudsman if you’re not happy with how your complaint is handled.

You can contact the Dental Complaints Service if you need help with settling a complaint about private dental treatment.